Kosice, Slovakia
Yes, I know. It's another long break since my last post. Well for a sleep deprived mum, the choice between choosing to sleep and blogging is not really a mind-boggline choice.
Here is some photos taken during my trip to Kosice, Slovakia. Kosice is a city in eastern Slovakia. This was actually part of Hungary but it through historical events, it finally ended as part of the Slovak Republic.
I really love this small city. Well it's actually the second largest city after Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia. It is really beautiful. But like all my travel adventures while in Europe, I was plagued with bad weather, much to my annoyance. The cloud just followed me everwhere I went, everytime!! Kena jackpot also not so "chun" (accurate in Hokkien). -.-. Therefore I don't think my picture did any justice to this beautiful city. :(
It was my first time driving on a long distance journey in Europe. Quite tension to drive on the other side of the road, using a manual car (meaning gear box is on the right!). But nevertheless we made it there and back. It took us nearly 3 hours to drive there from Debrecen.
It is said that the Immaculata is the most beautiful Baroque-styled sculptured monument in the City. It commemorates the plague from the years 1710-1711. Right on the top of the monument is the sculpture of Virgin Mary. St. Gabriel, St. Elizabeth of Hungary, St. Margita and St.Michael sits at the 4 sides of the monument. If you look closely, the carvings are really detailed and intriguing.
This blog is after all suitable for the general public :D
Museum
More buildings
Immaculata with State Theatre behind
State Theatre (Statne divadlo)
Morning dew on web
Beautiful musical fountain
Saint Urban's Tower
The bell which was installed in the tower was 7 tonnes. I was dedicated to St. Urban, the patron of wine prowers which was cast in a mould by the bell founder Frantisek Illenfeld of Olomouc in 1557. There are 36 tombstone, the earliest dating from the 4th century were put into the outer walls of the Tower. The Tower was damaged by fire in 1966 and was later restored.
A closer view of the bell
St. Elizabeth Cathedral
Being Kosice's main landmark, this is a really beautiful monument, which unfortunately my photo didn't do any justice. The present cathedral stands on a site formerly occupied by a parish church which was destryoed by wire around 1370 (what is this with churches and fire?). The construction of this cathedral began around 1378.
St. Michael's Chapel
This chapel was built as a cemetary chapel in the center of a cemetary within the city walls which stretch from the Cathedral to the South of the island of Cermel' brook.
Side view of the St. Elizabeth Cathedral
Jakob's Palace.
This was built at the end of the 19th century for the rich entrepreneur Peter Jacob. In 1945, the palace was inhabited by the Czecheslovak president Eduard Benes during Kocise's short stint as the capital of Czechoslovakia.
Prove of statement: Me in Kocise!
When I was there, there was some kind of a ambulance parade or something. It almost felt like the entire of Europe's ambulances where there. These guys were blaring the ambulance siren and honks like crazy and they were throwing sweets to the kids. Nice but I wouldn't want to be in need of an ambulance at a time like this, unless of course I'm there.

Comments