Wots cookin'

A week of creative cooking.

ABC soup

I get stressed out when weekend nears. This is because I’ll have to crack my head thinking what wholesome food to cook for my princess. I sometimes have problem feeding her because she’d run all over the house when I try to feed her (which is what makes it so tiring when feeding time comes).

I will usually cook porridge for Sarah but I think she must be bored eating the same old porridge every day. Therefore I’ve decided to cook her some “pasta”. I got these really cute “pasta” from Jusco the other day. The packaging says that it’s organic vegetables but the texture is really like pasta after cooking. It also says that it’s high in fiber, high in protein, no added salt and uses whole grain. All sounds good to me.


Alphabets never tasted this good


A personalized meal! :p

So here's the dish I cooked for Sarah:
Soup base: Chicken stock, made by simmering chicken bones for the whole morning
Main Ingredients: Chinese cabbage, broccoli, Japanese seaweed, Organic green soya bean, Japanese sweet potato, fish, organic vegetable alphabet.


The final result - an ABC soup, literally

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tom Yam Mee Hoon Kueh

Sunday came and I suddenly had the cravings for my authentic Tom Yam “Mee Hoon Kueh”. “Mee Hoon Kueh” or it’s other variation known as “Pan Mee” in KL is one of my favourite food. I like soupy meals! :D. I had always preferred the good ol’ Mee Hoon Kueh from Malacca probably because I grew up eating this. The Pan Mee version in KL is slightly similar except that the ingredients used are slightly different. However, both uses clear broth for soup. Clear broth soup tastes great but for a lazy person like me, it’s sometimes too much of a hassle. Therefore to meet my preference for quick cooking meals and also my deep passion for tom yam, I have come up with my own Tom Yam Mee Hoon Kueh! Tada… Many people cringe when I told them about my creation but it actually tastes good (provided you do like tom yam in the first place) and a big plus is it’s really easy to cook. Alright, it didn’t need too much of creativity to come up with this dish but I haven’t seen anyone selling this outside .. yet. Anyway anything that only need me to dump everything in and doesn’t make the cooker hob splattered with oil, is good with me.

The main ingredient of this dish is the dough. Basically you’ll just need water and flour. Some people may like to add in an egg but I don’t put that in. The special thing about “my creation” is I add in oats into it, to make it more nutritious. I’ll usually put in Choy Sam but I used Chinese cabbage this time because that’s what I have in my fridge. Another personal preference is I like to have my dough flattened using fingers, rather than using the conventional machine to roll it. It is the inconsistency in the thickness in hand-pressed dough that gives the whole meal that “UMPH” factor.

I've decided against putting the recipe of this dish because I never use any measurement in my cookings and therefore it may not benefit most people. Anyway just drop me a note if you are still interested to know how it's done.

Combination of 1 part oats and 3 parts flour


Chicken fillets


Fresh vegetables



Other ingredients used


Now... wait



Finally.. !


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kimchi chigae

What do you do when you have some "old kimchi" sitting in your fridge? You make "Kimchi Chigae"! With the remaining Chinese cabbage that I still had, this was what I made myself as an add-on dish for lunch on Tuesday.

Kimchi chigae is a stew-like Korean dish made with kimchi and other ingredients all stewed in a pot. I read that in Korea, this dish is often cooked using older, more fermented kimchi, thus creating a much stronger taste and containing higher amounts of good bacteria also found in yogurt.

It’s really easy to cook this.. you just need to throw everything into the pot and let it boil (now you're starting to see the philosophy of my cookings :p). Consider including ingredients like tofu, onions (lot’s of it), light soya sauce, meat (pork, chicken), green onions (lot’s of it), egg, etc.

I know some people dislike kimchi. I'm grateful that I've been blessed with a "flexible" taste bud that is able to accomodate many different kinds of cuisines :D... sometimes we need some variety to perk up life, isn't it?

My kimchi chigae.. slurp

The end product looks a bit like the tom yam above isn't it? Hahahah.. but the taste is really different, believe me!

Comments

Popular Posts