Breastfeeding – 2nd attempt

I wouldn’t call my first breastfeeding experience with Sarah successful because it was only for 2 months (1 month exclusive). I told myself that I need to do better this time. The standard recommendation is to exclusively breastfeed your baby for the first 6 months. Exclusive breastfeeding means giving the baby only breast milk and nothing else goes into her mouth (including supplementary formula milk, water, etc).

I wasn’t too sure if I can tahan that long, or whether I’ll be faced with the same supply problem like the first time. I decided to give myself a more achievable aim, which is breastfeed exclusively for 2 months (so as to be fair to Sydnie). It’s a bit hard to believe but I have just surpassed my 3rd month. I know this is nothing compared to those that have bf for 6 months, 9 months or even up to whooping 2 yrs but still, it’s a personal achievement for me. So it’s still Hooray for myself.

You know, breastfeeding should be something very natural right? But I do not understand how something so natural can be so “unnatural” to learn. Yes, we really got to learn how to breastfeed. So far it’s been a very tiring experience to bf exclusively. Frankly everyday I feel like giving up and each time , I’ll tell myself Ok, feed for another day. One day lead to another and here I am now, 3.5 months down the road. Although extremely exhausting you’ll feel very proud to see your baby’s weight increase every time you bring your baby for check-ups. It’s a nice feeling to know that your baby is thriving on your own effort.

I plan to stop bf this month (in fact I said the same thing for all the previous months Haha). However bf is like a bad addiction. Help! On one hand I would like to stop but on the other hand I can’t make myself to stop it. Like sayang lar to stop. I don’t have that much supply compared to some people. The milk-o-meter needle is constantly hovering precariously between “just nice” and “NOT ENOUGH”. However I try not to stress myself too much on how much milk I have because it will eventually affect supply. Regardless, at least I could still exclusively feed Sydnie till now. Mum said she’s head me saying that I plan to stop like a thousand times but it never happened. So like I said, it’s like a bad addiction. We’ll see how long more I can withstand.

Special thanks to Sun for her support. Her emotional support gave me the extra strength to persevere till today. And she also very kind enough to borrow me her double pump!! I have to try it out. Thanks again my dear!


Trusty 3 year old Medela Mini E


My humble stock

Comments

Linda said…
Hi dear, u r a great mum! Though i breast fed my girl for full 6 mths but it wasn't exclusive as the milk supply very limited and it's sooooo painful to use the breast pump and end up I gave up on using it. I will try to bf exclusively for my second 1, so wld like to chk whether the pump dat u currently using good or not and where to get it? Thanks.
dizzyfly said…
Hi Linda. Congrats on your 2nd pregnancy . Glad to know that you plan to bf exclusively. Actually i have a Avent manual and a Medela Mini-E (picture in blog) which is a single electric pump. Both has it’s pro and cons. Manual is more gentle but hand will feel tired. Manual allow u to pump almost anywhere coz no need electric point. The Mini E is less work compared to manual pump but it's a bit noisy. If you can, invest in a double pump which is more efficient. I also feel very painful using the electric pump. I know ppl who can put the setting to max without any pain. So this depends on individual. I always set the setting to nearly the lowest and just withstand with the pain. Medela is quite a famous brand for breastpump. I’m not sure where you can get it in Melaka but most baby stores will have it. Otherwise you can purchase it online.

Popular Posts