Pai Ti Kong at Malacca

Pai Ti Kong, is a ceremony practiced on the night of the 8th day of Chinese New Year by the Hokkiens, in conjunction with the birthday of the Ti Kong (Jade Emperor). Hokkiens would offer a huge array of offerings to Ti Kong and in return, hope for a better and blessed year ahead.

We are actually Shanghainese but I'm not too sure why we follow this Hokkien tradition :p. Maybe I should ask Mum about this. Anyway as a little girl, I fondly remember Mum toiling over stoves and steamers since early morning. Sis and I would bring out the fine brass candle and joss stick holders and polish them till they gleam. I remember sis and I happily getting our fingers dirty in order to "compete" who can produce a better shine. When the time comes for prayers, we would go to the kitchen and march out with all the various offerings which Mum has single-handedly prepared since morning. The front of our little shop house would be cleaned and arranged beautifully with prayer paraphernalia like big red candles and joss sticks, various offerings that each has a piece of red paper stuck to it, flowers and most importantly 2 sticks of sugar cane which would each be placed at each side of the door.

Now that we have shifted out from our new house, we have changed to pray "vegetarian-style". This definitely made the preparation process simpler. It has been many years since I am back home for prayers. I'm glad Sarah could be a part of this, although she didn't stay up till the end of the prayer session.

This year I volunteered to cut out the decorative red paper which would be glued to each offering. Each paper is distinct and unique from any other. I also got a bit adventurous by cutting out the string of paper hearts and girls to "zing" up this year's prayers :p. Rachel was so in awed with me... haha. Unfortunately my fingers cramped up before I could finish all therefore those for the fruits was done by mum. :p

Me coming up with the finishing touches
(Photo by Sean)

All done

A close look - each girl uniquely different


The beautiful prayer cloth we inherited from my grandma. This cloth has been with us for many, many decades. It has beautiful hand-woven stitch work, which is why it looks so much finer than the new machine-done ones.


Tea offerings

Dragon candles


For longevity

To sweeten up things
My renowned string of hearts and string of girls decorative red paper =p



Red dates and mushroom each with a specially designed red paper cutting

Golden needles and wood ears



Fruits

Ang ku - literally translated as "red tortoise"


Pineapple


Spring onion and mee suah

Joss sticks
Flowers


Overall view from the front

View from the back

Since everyone is back at home, we also took the opportunity to "lau yee sang" together. It was so much fun. Rachel and Sarah enjoyed the process. Sarah fondly related it to me just the other day as "messing up the table". Haha.


Our self created special recipe of mandarin orange + abalone clam yee sang.
Tastes very good.

Huat ahh!!

Comments

Popular Posts