The "3rd Day Curse"

Ok. It seemed that keeping my fingers crossed didn’t help. Alas, Sarah like most other children couldn’t escape what I call the “3rd Day Curse”. Often, we see brawling children who refuses to go to nursery right from the first day. For the better ones however there’s another possibility where the child who is first going to nursery will be eager to go on the first 2 days but will then change to refuse going on the 3rd day. Sis has warned me about it and I was holding my breath waiting for DAY 3!!!

Yesterday was Sarah’s 3rd day and she insisted to climb back into the car as soon as we reached the gate. Poor girl, cried when her teacher carried her off. Sarah's teacher told me that most children will be like that when they first started. She assured me that Sarah is doing fine, although she’ll still have an occasional outburst when she suddenly thinks of me during the day. As Sarah woke up this morning, she knew very well that she’ll be going to nursery but she still purposely asked me where she’s going. Soon after I replied her she said that she wants to stay with me at home. When she failed to convince me, she tried the "diversion approach" (kids nowadays are full of strategies); she said she want to go to another nearby nursery, not this one. She cried when we left her at the school gate again today.

I hope it’s not the nursery environment that’s causing her distress. Otherwise we’ll really have to find for another one. I do not want to change the nursery for unjustifiable reasons because it may give the child the wrong idea. We can’t be changing schools at her whim and fancy when she starts the formal education. Assuming that all is well at the nursery , the most possible cause of this is separation anxiety. All these while Sarah is fine being separated with us for a period of time but I think this time proved a little more than what she could handle. She’s also been displaying signs of separation anxiety like not being able to sleep at night, clingy, etc. I know that this is another part of a child’s development milestone but it still couldn't help prevent the deep heartache I felt whenever I drop her off. People are telling me “Don’t worry, they’ll be ok after a month”. One month?!! That seem like eternity to me. Nevertheless I hope it will go off soon. I miss Sarah’s cheery morning goodbyes :(.


The happier Sarah on Day 1 -
Sarah patiently waiting for Daddy's car at the guard house

Comments

Popular Posts