32 weeks on..

By now I’ve long lost the sight of my toes and if I bump on to anything, chances are it will first touch my belly button. (For those un-enlightened ones, pressure from the baby will make your belly button stick out). Things have been pretty difficult lately. The ligament loosening thing is getting more serious that I can hardly walk at times. The good thing is it doesn’t strike often. The bad thing is it strikes randomly and you may be caught unsuspected in awkward situations. I’m also having trouble sleeping as I can’t shift my position without excruciating pain. Backache is also getting more annoyingly .. well, achy.

As I am thinking how long more I can withstand all these, I came across an article at babycenter. It's the article title that caught my attention. It says “50 reasons to be glad you are pregnant”. The article mention that it’s written to remind you how FUN pregnant can be at times when you are thinking “NEVER AGAIN”. I think it is more likely written to making you “disillusioned” with facts :p. Here are some of the points given and “reality” behind it.

4 Now you've got the perfect excuse to pamper yourself - spending hours in a scented bath, enjoying a massage or rubbing soothing lotions into your growing bump. – Forget it. I’m dead tired by bedtime and the only thing I want to get over with is applying the anti-stretch mark creams with my half drooping eyelids.
5 Maternity leave when you will have two whole months (more if you work for a progressive, forward-thinking company) to enjoy your baby. – Chances are you are currently already covering the work you’ll need to do during your absence . Then after those 2 months you’ll have like a zillion emails to read, and you end up having to work extra time later to cover up those as well. Do your math and you'll realize that you actually work for additional 2 months. Darn!
7 For once in your life you need to get heavier - pregnancy is Nature's way of making you feel good about putting on weight. – Ok, I do like this now that I got the license to get FAT. HAHA.
8 If this is your first baby, enjoy the next nine months sleeping late at weekends: you won't get many chances later on. – True for first timers but sorry, not applicable to me. I spend my weekends trying to maneuver my tummy while chasing after Sarah to put on her panty.
11 Finally, you can ask people to get off their seats for you in the LRT, train or bus. –In Malaysia??! Forget it. The last time I sat the KTM, I had to literally squeeze myself through the crowd and holding a protective hand over my tummy so that it doesn’t get too squashed. And you can expect standing all the way to your destination (if you get to your destination)… provided you manage to squeeze yourself out in time before the door closes.
16 New talents! Whether it's knitting bootees or assembling a flat-pack cot, you'll suddenly find yourself trying out all sorts of new skills. – Does sleeping with a 10kg load on top of you count?
17 Suddenly you'll feel a new appreciation for your own mother and all she went through having you. – This is very, very true.
20 Feeling OK for sending your husband out for roti canai followed by double-choc chip ice cream and cendol. – C'mon... I’m very kind, harby can vouch for it.
21 Your parents digging out husband/your old cot or pram, which they've kept safely all this time 'just in case'. – Seeing is believing… Really!!
24 Feeling a little pair of heels prodding under your diaphragm and knowing you'll soon be meeting the little person they belong to! – Yeah.. right! Can’t wait to”meet” the little person to give a big smack on the buttocks for that :p.
26 Writing a pregnancy diary for your baby to read in the future. – Good idea, I should consider that and claim back my “distress-charges” from them when they grow up.
27 Getting someone to take photos of you smiling over your enormous bump so that, one day, you can look back and be amazed you were ever that size. – I don’t know about you but I do not want to be reminded how I look like. Looking bloated once a life is one thing but being reminded of it the rest of the life is altogether another thing.
29 Lying in bed with your husband's arms around you and your bump, knowing that love has created a new life. – Hello.. wake up! In reality he’ll probably be in dreamland before you even finish applying the anti stretch mark cream.
31 Knowing that from now on, whatever happens, you'll never be bored again. – OH YEAH!! Things will never ever be the same. BELIEVE ME!
34 Imagining what he or she will look like. Your sweet little ears, of course, and his sexy eyes! – Better not in case the baby gets the worst out of both of the parents.
35 Dreaming about, "My daughter the prime minister/pop star/brain surgeon." - At times when the child gets difficult the only thing you’ll be dreaming is “When is she ever going to grow up”
36 Looking at your growing bump in the mirror and realizing there's a person in there! – With all the kicking and pain, who could doubt that?
40 Making that phone call to your husband to tell him that - we're off! - labour has started. – Harby was so slumber the first time, I nearly knocked him on his head so that he get the message to come back like... "NOW". We’ll see this time.
42 Being held and supported throughout a contraction by your husband or labour companion and knowing that you can trust them totally. – This is very important; get your harby in with you. No compromise.
43 Finding out, as the contractions get tough, that your repertoire of swear words (in several languages!) is far more extensive than you ever realized! - Haha.. this is a good one. Thinking back I was very civilized through contractions.
45 That huge rush of pleasure and relief when, suddenly, all the pain and effort stops. – Didn’t think much. I immediately Zzzzzzz-ed.
46 Looking into your newborn's eyes and falling utterly in love. –True.
50 Waking up to see your baby sleeping next to you and thinking, 'Wow! This is real. I'm a mum!' - This should be re-written to be more like “Awaken up by your baby’s crying and thinking Huh.. you are hungry AGAIN?!!”

I think I can "disillusion" myself for another 2 months. Happy Pregnancy to me.

Comments

Popular Posts