Too posh to push?
During our grandmothers' time cesarean section (c-section) was something rarely heard. It is something to be avoided unless there was really an emergency. However recent statistics have shown that the percentage of woman giving birth through c-sect has increased tremendously. Producing offspring is something that has been there since the beginning of time and it should not be any different now. So what is it that has changed? Have modern women and society as a whole become so sophisticated that natural birth is considered out-dated?
I agree that the choice of delivery is a personal one. Unless it’s for medical emergency or difficulties, I do not see why a woman should not at least try to birth naturally (vaginally). Nature has intended a woman’s body or in fact, any female species to give birth the way it was supposed to be. So before you make your final decision, do consider the benefits of natural birth. Everyone have a different birth story so do not be put off just because of some things you've heard. Believe in yourself. Even VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) is possible!
Some cultures believe that a child’s birth date and time determines his/her future. I do believe in fate to a certain degree but I do not believe in humans playing “GOD” and deciding a person’s fate by intervening when the baby should come out. You’ll be surprised but there are people (even educated ones) who are doing this. I find it rather irritating. It is as though the parents can path a guaranteed road to success for their child. As much as I want my children to be successful, I don't think there's any easy way to success and I certainly do not want my children to grow up with this kind of mentality. Therefore of all the reasons to choose c-section, this should probably be the least forgiven reason of all!!
The best way to review the benefits of natural vaginal birth is probably to examine the risks of having a c-section and the fact that it is a major abdominal surgery which will cut through your abdomen, uterus, fats (maybe lots of it), muscles, etc. Like all major surgeries c-section comes with many potential risks and complications like blood clots, damage to surrounding organs, infections, etc. The risk also extends to the baby as well as to future pregnancies.
Here are some other points you want to consider.
In my previous post on my first childbirth experience, I mentioned about the pain, etc. I’m not going to lie through my teeth saying that it was easy (unless you chose epidural then maybe it’s a different story lar). However I have also mentioned before that the real difficult part is not childbirth, it starts after the child is born. Unless circumstances forbids, I’ll definitely try for natural birth again this time. Wish me luck.
I agree that the choice of delivery is a personal one. Unless it’s for medical emergency or difficulties, I do not see why a woman should not at least try to birth naturally (vaginally). Nature has intended a woman’s body or in fact, any female species to give birth the way it was supposed to be. So before you make your final decision, do consider the benefits of natural birth. Everyone have a different birth story so do not be put off just because of some things you've heard. Believe in yourself. Even VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) is possible!
Some cultures believe that a child’s birth date and time determines his/her future. I do believe in fate to a certain degree but I do not believe in humans playing “GOD” and deciding a person’s fate by intervening when the baby should come out. You’ll be surprised but there are people (even educated ones) who are doing this. I find it rather irritating. It is as though the parents can path a guaranteed road to success for their child. As much as I want my children to be successful, I don't think there's any easy way to success and I certainly do not want my children to grow up with this kind of mentality. Therefore of all the reasons to choose c-section, this should probably be the least forgiven reason of all!!
The best way to review the benefits of natural vaginal birth is probably to examine the risks of having a c-section and the fact that it is a major abdominal surgery which will cut through your abdomen, uterus, fats (maybe lots of it), muscles, etc. Like all major surgeries c-section comes with many potential risks and complications like blood clots, damage to surrounding organs, infections, etc. The risk also extends to the baby as well as to future pregnancies.
Here are some other points you want to consider.
- In natural birth the baby comes out when he/she is “ripe” and physically ready to meet the world (not when you are ready!)
- Babies born from vagina have stronger lungs and generally have lesser health problems (maybe because the organs have more time to mature while in the womb)
- Vaginal birth reduces allergies- mothers pass beneficial bacteria to the babies during the process
In my previous post on my first childbirth experience, I mentioned about the pain, etc. I’m not going to lie through my teeth saying that it was easy (unless you chose epidural then maybe it’s a different story lar). However I have also mentioned before that the real difficult part is not childbirth, it starts after the child is born. Unless circumstances forbids, I’ll definitely try for natural birth again this time. Wish me luck.

Comments