My 5 months 22 days journey
My breastfeeding (bf) journey was a very bumpy one. One of multiple infections, block ducts, engorgements, cracked skin, high fever (as a result of the infection, blocked ducts, engorgement and cracked skin), and blood, frustration, stress and tears. At one point, I was having at least 2 times of blocked ducts per week. Blocked ducts eventually lead to engorgement, fever, etc. My cracked skin never really had a chance to heal because of the constant feeding and pumping action will pull at the skin, and causing it to crack again. Of course I have to give “credentials and due recognition” to Sydnie for contributing to my cracked skin as she is one biter. Do not, I repeat, do not at any time underestimate that innocent toothless smile. They can be vicious. And in fact she seem to be doing it purposely because every time I scream, she gives me a beaming smile.
When the engorgement comes in, it was like the end of the world. But still, I don’t dare to complain it was a decision I made, much to mum and dads’ disapproval. Every time it happens, I’ll tell mum “OK, I’m gonna stop bf” but as mum said, I’ve mentioned this like about a thousand times and it never happened. Along the way the thought of quitting came across many times but I kept telling myself “one more day”. With all that I was going through, mum seriously thought I was mad. She said she already “seram” at the sheer thought of it and she don’t know how I could still continue bf.
Looking back, I don’t know how I managed to do it but at least I was quite certain I wanted to have a more successful bf experience this time round. Maybe it’s because Sydnie didn’t seem so physically strong when she was born and had to be admitted to hospital at 10 days old, maybe it’s my own pride to prove that I can achieve what I couldn’t do the first time, maybe it’s my “paranoid mother syndrome” that sis calls me :p, maybe it’s just pure mother instincts, maybe there are other reasons in my sub-conscious mind that made me soldier on, but I’m glad I survived.
For mothers that didn’t have a successful bf previously, I can tell you that it can be done. I feel having an older child makes bf even more difficult. Of course you need a lot of self perseverance, commitment and you have to give up a lot of your time and sleep, but there are other things that kept me moving.
1) A very big thanks to Sun for graciously borrowing me her double pump. Without it I may have quit earlier :p. And of course for her encouraging words. Thanks, Sun!
2) My lifesaving breastfeeding pillow. It helps alleviate arm aches. After I got used using it, I in fact couldn’t bf properly without using it. It also enable me to chase after Sarah while bf. Talking about feeding-on-the-go!
3) Credit goes to my ol' trusty mini E electric pump, hehe.. which I bought during Sarah’s time but didn’t get to use much that time. It saved my hand from the manual pumps. Actually manual pumps are really much gentler and it does work great for many, but unfortunately my hands couldn’t cope with the work needed.
4) Harby for helping me get the storage bottles and fenugreek.
For those that plan to bf, here is some of my experience. I’m not sure if I’m entirely correct but I think that I managed to bf this time round (compared to last time) because of loading up by drinking a lot more fluids and by persisting to feed 24 x 7. When both Sydnie and I was hospitalized, my milk was deemed unfit for consumption because I was on medication. To maintain supply I pumped milk 24 x 7 by setting up the alarm in the middle of the night. Frankly I didn’t have that much milk compared to some others. I know of some people who had so much milk, they ended up giving their baby milk bath, literally, because there’s just too much stock. Yeah, I felt like strangling them when I heard that. Anyway I made up the lack of supply by pumping more often, like every 2 hourly. This time round, every single drop of milk was very precious for me. Again, mum and sis thought I was a bit “over” trying to get each drop out from the milk bottle when I transferred it for storage. LOL.
OK, I’m not a pro at bf and like I said, the duration I bf isn’t that long either. It’s just that for mums that previously didn’t manage to bf successfully, I know how it feels and I just want to tell you that you can have a better result the next time… so, don’t give up.
So 5 months 22 days was how long I could withstand breastfeeding. 4 months 3 weeks was exclusively breastfeeding and thereafter I started to mix 1 formula feed per day. Plus Sydnie teeth came out already slightly after 5.5 mths old so all the more for me to stop :p. To other mothers who feed up till 1 year or more, I truly salute you. You have my utmost respect.
Now that the dust has settled down, I have my 23 bottles (excluding 2 that broke), 5 milk storage bags, 15 plastic "kaya" containers, 1 polystyrene cooler box, my trusty old Mini E, and a lifetime of memories left. And... I guess my skin can finally heal now :)
When the engorgement comes in, it was like the end of the world. But still, I don’t dare to complain it was a decision I made, much to mum and dads’ disapproval. Every time it happens, I’ll tell mum “OK, I’m gonna stop bf” but as mum said, I’ve mentioned this like about a thousand times and it never happened. Along the way the thought of quitting came across many times but I kept telling myself “one more day”. With all that I was going through, mum seriously thought I was mad. She said she already “seram” at the sheer thought of it and she don’t know how I could still continue bf.
Looking back, I don’t know how I managed to do it but at least I was quite certain I wanted to have a more successful bf experience this time round. Maybe it’s because Sydnie didn’t seem so physically strong when she was born and had to be admitted to hospital at 10 days old, maybe it’s my own pride to prove that I can achieve what I couldn’t do the first time, maybe it’s my “paranoid mother syndrome” that sis calls me :p, maybe it’s just pure mother instincts, maybe there are other reasons in my sub-conscious mind that made me soldier on, but I’m glad I survived.
For mothers that didn’t have a successful bf previously, I can tell you that it can be done. I feel having an older child makes bf even more difficult. Of course you need a lot of self perseverance, commitment and you have to give up a lot of your time and sleep, but there are other things that kept me moving.
1) A very big thanks to Sun for graciously borrowing me her double pump. Without it I may have quit earlier :p. And of course for her encouraging words. Thanks, Sun!
2) My lifesaving breastfeeding pillow. It helps alleviate arm aches. After I got used using it, I in fact couldn’t bf properly without using it. It also enable me to chase after Sarah while bf. Talking about feeding-on-the-go!
3) Credit goes to my ol' trusty mini E electric pump, hehe.. which I bought during Sarah’s time but didn’t get to use much that time. It saved my hand from the manual pumps. Actually manual pumps are really much gentler and it does work great for many, but unfortunately my hands couldn’t cope with the work needed.
4) Harby for helping me get the storage bottles and fenugreek.
For those that plan to bf, here is some of my experience. I’m not sure if I’m entirely correct but I think that I managed to bf this time round (compared to last time) because of loading up by drinking a lot more fluids and by persisting to feed 24 x 7. When both Sydnie and I was hospitalized, my milk was deemed unfit for consumption because I was on medication. To maintain supply I pumped milk 24 x 7 by setting up the alarm in the middle of the night. Frankly I didn’t have that much milk compared to some others. I know of some people who had so much milk, they ended up giving their baby milk bath, literally, because there’s just too much stock. Yeah, I felt like strangling them when I heard that. Anyway I made up the lack of supply by pumping more often, like every 2 hourly. This time round, every single drop of milk was very precious for me. Again, mum and sis thought I was a bit “over” trying to get each drop out from the milk bottle when I transferred it for storage. LOL.
OK, I’m not a pro at bf and like I said, the duration I bf isn’t that long either. It’s just that for mums that previously didn’t manage to bf successfully, I know how it feels and I just want to tell you that you can have a better result the next time… so, don’t give up.
So 5 months 22 days was how long I could withstand breastfeeding. 4 months 3 weeks was exclusively breastfeeding and thereafter I started to mix 1 formula feed per day. Plus Sydnie teeth came out already slightly after 5.5 mths old so all the more for me to stop :p. To other mothers who feed up till 1 year or more, I truly salute you. You have my utmost respect.
Now that the dust has settled down, I have my 23 bottles (excluding 2 that broke), 5 milk storage bags, 15 plastic "kaya" containers, 1 polystyrene cooler box, my trusty old Mini E, and a lifetime of memories left. And... I guess my skin can finally heal now :)
Comments
Anyway, I'm very proud of you for making the mark. It is not easy I know but with love and persistency - YOU MAKE IT!
Btw, I was back last week but forgotten to contact you since it was so rush for me. Take k oh! Sun