Budapest at its best

My first stop at Hungary was Budapest, the capital city of Hungary. Budapest consists of Buda, the higher terrain of the Danube and Pest which is on the flatter side. Buda and Pest is separated by the famous Danube River. In my opinion, I think Buda is more beautiful comparatively :p.

I was happy to have Aashin, who came from Austin to spend a week in Hungary, to show me around Budapest. Budapest indeed lived up to its name of being one of the most beautiful city in Europe. We took along walk along the Danube to savor the beautiful landscape and architecture of Budapest.


Unfortunately I expected a warmer weather while in Hungary and therefore I didn’t prepare myself with enough warm clothing. The walk along the Danube was very chilly… brrrr…

Here’s a recap of my trail in Budapest!


The Millenium Court Budapest, by Mariott

My company made reservations for us at this cozy little apartment. It has the basic ammenities like a functional kitchen (with dishwasher, microwave, jug kettle, coffee maker, plates, utensils, etc. It also comes with a small living room and of course the bedroom and bathroom. I wish I have stayed long enough to enjoy these facilities.




Kitchen


My little living room



Like where else can you find a hotel that gives you 6 pillows and a bolster?!! Awesome!


Budapest city
Started our stroll on the road along the hotel. This is a very busy pedestrian street with many tourists.



The magnificent Buda Castle standing out upon the overcast sky










Szechenyi Chain Bridge
Opened in 1849, this suspension bridge links Buda and Pest through the Danube River. The bridge was severely damaged during WWII and was rebuilt and reopened in 1949.



"Shoes on the Danube Promenade"
This WWII memorial was created to depict the shoes left behind by the Jews who fell into the river after being shot during WWII. It consists of 60 pairs of shoes made from iron.



Matthias Church and Buda Castle



Parliament house





Night view of the Buda Castle



Colorful mini's parked in a row





Neprajzi Muzeum



Statue next to the parliament building



Parliament building official main entrance




My first Hungarian meal - Goulash (beef stew).. YUMMY!

Not satisfied by the bad weather on our first day there, we ventured out to the Danube again on day 2.



Me with the Buda Castle on a better weather
(picture by Aashin)





The lions guarding the entrance to the Szechenyi Chain Bridge





Szechenyi Chain Bridge again




.. and again
(picture by Aashin)


Buda Castle

Mural on the Buda Castle wall




View of the Parliament House on the Pest side of the Danube



(photo by Aashin)




Coin souvenier box




Matthias Fountain on the grounds of the castle
Located on the western court of the palace, the fountain shows a group of hunters lead by King Matthias Corvinus together with hounds, killed a deer.




The main entrance into the castle.
This place is big beyond words!



Statue on the side of one of the entrances




Me with the statues on the other side
(picture by Aashin)

Budapest History Museum
To understand Budapest history better, I went into the Budapest History Museum, which is located on the southern wing of the Buda Castle. The museum shows the history of Budapest from the beginnings right up till the end of communism in Hungary. I took me 2 hours just to take a quick "glance" of the museum. That is how big it is. Some parts of the museum had dim lightings and going down to the basement of the castle was quite eerie. The effect is significantly magnified as I was all alone... eekss

Part of the museum display




An event showing the clothings worn by the people back then. They had volunteers from the audience to put on the clothes. Unfortunately none of them were talking in English... :(




Fit for a king




An angel




Pieces of artifacts found




Headless statue from the past






Stone writings





Book of citizenship




Clothes of the past maidens






Of angels and harps









St. George and the dragon






Comb made from bone




Exitting from the main entrance of the castle

I hope I had more time at Budapest. We were rushing against time because we had to catch a taxi to Debrecen. Hopefully I'll have the chance to be here again in the future.

Comments

Popular Posts