It’s back to the hospital once more

Here's a recap of what happened.

2 days after coming back from the hospital, I got high fever. I thought that it’s the “angin” that’s making my joints pain and breast feeding caused my muscle aches. The funny thing was I remember telling Harby that “I don’t feel well. I feel as though I’m having viral fever”. I didn’t realize I was having fever initially. I only knew when Harby asked me to check my temperature after I complained feeling cold, as I seldom feel cold. The problem was my fever didn’t go off even after taking Panadol.


After 3 days of high fever (39.9 C) I coincidentally had my postnatal checkup with my gynae. As I was relating to him about my high fever, the nurse slowly took 3 steps back and the doctor sort of pushed his chair back away from me too. With all the H1N1 hype and the fact that there were H1N1 cases in that hospital, I couldn’t really blame them can I? Doc advised me to get admitted but I decided to "monitor" my condition at home since I was fully breast feeding. However thank God my gynae asked me if the baby was alright. It didn’t cross my mind to check Sydnie. Sydnie did feel hot but don’t all babies feel hot to the touch? So the first thing I did after I reached home was to take Sydnie’s temperature and true enough she was hot. I should have suspected something amiss when I noticed her breathing rapidly. That’s the good thing about breastfeeding. You’ll be sensitive to your baby’s changes since she’s constantly close to you all the time. After contemplating for the whole day, I decided to get both Sydnie and me admitted to the hospital. Since it was at night, we went directly to the emergency dept. It was confirmed that both of us were having fever. It’s actually dangerous for a young baby like Sydnie to have 38.9C.

Doc confirmed that I really WAS HAVING viral fever. He put me on drips, PCM and suppository for my fever. It took a combination of these 3 things to finally bring my fever down. I was discharged 4 days later.

Sydnie however wasn’t performing too well. Her Pead was very concerned and told us that this could be something very serious or maybe H1N1. Sydnie was put into the isolation room. He did a series of tests.. urine, blood, etc.. you name it. Poor girl. The problem was her fever just wouldn’t go down. He then decided to x-ray her. The slide showed that there was inflammation in her lungs. Pead say that it could be the onstart of pneumonia. He asked us to “be prepared”. All of us couldn’t sleep for the first few days. He didn’t want to rule out the possibility of H1N1 and therefore he put Sydnie on Tamiflu as well. Finally, I broke down when Harby told me that they had tubes put into Sydnie’s nose. I can’t imagine my baby going through all this. It didn’t help that I was not allowed to see her. Although I understood the Pead’s worry that I might infect the entire nursery, it was a really cruel to me. Only Harby was allowed to go into the nursery to see her. I begged Harby to take some photos of her for me to see, which he conveniently “forgot” every time. After days of inaction on Harby’s side, I walked to the nursery, knocked on the door and begged the nurse to help take a photo so that I can see her. The nurse was really nice. Maybe she kesian me. Instead, she offered to push Sydnie’s cot out from the isolation room and to the nursery door and I could see her through the door’s glass window. I was very relieved to see her. They’ve taken out the tubes. Thank God :)

My little girl is a fighter! After 8 days, 2 different types of antibiotics, paracetamol and Tamiflu, Sydnie was finally allowed to go home. Everyone was so, so relieved. I would also like to say a million thanks to my family for their support. Special thanks to dear Sun and Ein for their prayers as well, I really appreciate it :)

Sydnie sleeping in the isolation room


Yes, that's a bootie on her hands.
The nurse has stuck a permanent needle on her hand and taped her hand onto a piece of wood to minimize movement. A normal mitten wouldn't have fit in.


Mummy finally being able to carry Sydnie for the first time since she was admitted to the isolation room

Nurse cup-feeding Sydnie

Comments

Leopard said…
Hey, that's too much of a coincidence dy... u also kena viral fever?? :S Something's seriously wrong aroud here dy~~ But good to know u two are ok :)
dizzyfly said…
Yalor.. don't know why how come both of us kena. Thanks leopard.

Popular Posts