Birth Story 2
As how Harby put it, everyone wanted Sydnie to come out on a certain date. Mum and BIL wanted it to be on their birthday and I was wondering whether she’ll come out during Merdeka 31st. But as all the dates came and go, Sis was saying that maybe Sydnie want to come out on her birthday. Well 9/9/09 would have been a very nice number Sis, but I didn't think I can afford to wait till then. Therefore upon doctor’s advice we set to induced her on 2nd September. (Sorry little girl, waiting period is wayyyy over).
It’s so tension-ing to countdown to the actual delivery date. I’ll rather the baby suddenly come out so that I don’t have to keep thinking about “THE DAY”. I could hardly sleep the night before. Doc asked us to check in the hospital at 7am, which means we’ll have to wait up at 6am. I think I need sufficient sleep and therefore we ignored him and reached about 8am. Upon reaching there, we were told that the labor rooms are full. Luckily I didn’t have to wait too long to get a room.
Since the ward didn’t have enough man-power they got a nurse from the surgical ward to help me. I like her. She’s a very nice, young nurse compared to some other old and cranky nurses. The problem was this is also her first time being in the labor room. She doesn’t even know where the gauze and gloves are! I don’t know about how you’d feel in my condition but I was quite concerned about it. Then another new nurse from labor ward came to help her. Her presence made me even more worried. This 2nd nurse told me she’s very anxious and asked me if I am. I told her that I wasn’t that anxious at first but after hearing her saying that, I’m getting anxious already. She gently pressed my tummy and told me that my baby’s head is not down yet. I was like Huh? Excuse me. My baby’s head has been down for a few months already. How can a nurse in labor room not know? The nurse from the surgical ward seemed more knowledgeable than her. She touched it again and told her that the head is down already la. You see la.. how not to feel worried. Sometimes going to hospital not only involves the hospital reputation but also involves luck. If you are lucky to get an experienced nurse then you’ll definitely feel more confident. This can happen to any hospital actually.
Back to the inducing process. I was given the pill at 9 something. Then at 12.15pm the doctor came and asked me if I was having contractions. I told him no. The problem was the contraction started coming right after he left! A nurse then came to my room to give me the painkiller but since I was having my lunch, she said she’ll come back later. However the contractions got stronger and stronger and I was actually eating my lunch through my contractions. Harby pula already went home for lunch. When I finished eating, I immediately pressed the bell to get the nurse in. She only came in about 8 minutes later… I pula sudah grating my teeth. When she came, I told her that she can give me that painkiller like… NOW!!!! Doc came again and jokingly said “I thought you said no contractions?”. I replied “Ya, it came right after you left”.
While I inhaled the gas which is supposed to relieve the pain, the nurse kept reminding me not to take too much of it. Harby even suggested to take the mask away from my hand so that I won’t keep using it. I told warned him not to even attempt to do that. He must be out of his mind. Here I am with the only thing that is said to supposedly reduce my pain and he’s offering to take it away from me?!! Mencari maut right? As the contraction progressed I closed my eyes because I was in pain. The labor room nurse thought that I was sleeping and she keep jerking me, much to my annoyance. The pain was severe up to a point where I was actually shivering trying to tahan it. (Seems like being sleepy during my first delivery wasn’t such a bad thing after all). I finally delivered Sydnie with 2 pushes. Thanks to my gynae, I didn’t experience any pain during the stitching process. And hey presto, I was actually awake until the doc finished stitching.
Overall, I would say that I am more alert this time compared to when I delivered Sarah. I was very drowsy that time. I don’t know if this is a good thing because being more alert also means that I can feel and “savor” each and every contraction!! My dear Harby also got smarter this time. He didn't offer me his hand to hold. Therefore I could only squeeze and wrench the side railing of the bed.
After every contraction I kept telling Harby that I’m not going to have another child. When the pain got more intense I asked my doctor whether it’s too late to get epidural (which he amusedly replied Yes). Then as it progressed further I said Ok, that’s it let’s go for c-sect. Harby laughed at me because according to him, all those were exactly what I said the last time with Sarah. I think I’m really done this time. No more birth story #3.
PS: for the record, my waistline was exactly 1m in diameter before delivery. Hebat ya?
My last lunch. Thereafter it was a whole month of ginger-wine food. Believe me, all the food tasted the same. :s
It’s so tension-ing to countdown to the actual delivery date. I’ll rather the baby suddenly come out so that I don’t have to keep thinking about “THE DAY”. I could hardly sleep the night before. Doc asked us to check in the hospital at 7am, which means we’ll have to wait up at 6am. I think I need sufficient sleep and therefore we ignored him and reached about 8am. Upon reaching there, we were told that the labor rooms are full. Luckily I didn’t have to wait too long to get a room.
Since the ward didn’t have enough man-power they got a nurse from the surgical ward to help me. I like her. She’s a very nice, young nurse compared to some other old and cranky nurses. The problem was this is also her first time being in the labor room. She doesn’t even know where the gauze and gloves are! I don’t know about how you’d feel in my condition but I was quite concerned about it. Then another new nurse from labor ward came to help her. Her presence made me even more worried. This 2nd nurse told me she’s very anxious and asked me if I am. I told her that I wasn’t that anxious at first but after hearing her saying that, I’m getting anxious already. She gently pressed my tummy and told me that my baby’s head is not down yet. I was like Huh? Excuse me. My baby’s head has been down for a few months already. How can a nurse in labor room not know? The nurse from the surgical ward seemed more knowledgeable than her. She touched it again and told her that the head is down already la. You see la.. how not to feel worried. Sometimes going to hospital not only involves the hospital reputation but also involves luck. If you are lucky to get an experienced nurse then you’ll definitely feel more confident. This can happen to any hospital actually.
Back to the inducing process. I was given the pill at 9 something. Then at 12.15pm the doctor came and asked me if I was having contractions. I told him no. The problem was the contraction started coming right after he left! A nurse then came to my room to give me the painkiller but since I was having my lunch, she said she’ll come back later. However the contractions got stronger and stronger and I was actually eating my lunch through my contractions. Harby pula already went home for lunch. When I finished eating, I immediately pressed the bell to get the nurse in. She only came in about 8 minutes later… I pula sudah grating my teeth. When she came, I told her that she can give me that painkiller like… NOW!!!! Doc came again and jokingly said “I thought you said no contractions?”. I replied “Ya, it came right after you left”.
While I inhaled the gas which is supposed to relieve the pain, the nurse kept reminding me not to take too much of it. Harby even suggested to take the mask away from my hand so that I won’t keep using it. I told warned him not to even attempt to do that. He must be out of his mind. Here I am with the only thing that is said to supposedly reduce my pain and he’s offering to take it away from me?!! Mencari maut right? As the contraction progressed I closed my eyes because I was in pain. The labor room nurse thought that I was sleeping and she keep jerking me, much to my annoyance. The pain was severe up to a point where I was actually shivering trying to tahan it. (Seems like being sleepy during my first delivery wasn’t such a bad thing after all). I finally delivered Sydnie with 2 pushes. Thanks to my gynae, I didn’t experience any pain during the stitching process. And hey presto, I was actually awake until the doc finished stitching.
Overall, I would say that I am more alert this time compared to when I delivered Sarah. I was very drowsy that time. I don’t know if this is a good thing because being more alert also means that I can feel and “savor” each and every contraction!! My dear Harby also got smarter this time. He didn't offer me his hand to hold. Therefore I could only squeeze and wrench the side railing of the bed.
After every contraction I kept telling Harby that I’m not going to have another child. When the pain got more intense I asked my doctor whether it’s too late to get epidural (which he amusedly replied Yes). Then as it progressed further I said Ok, that’s it let’s go for c-sect. Harby laughed at me because according to him, all those were exactly what I said the last time with Sarah. I think I’m really done this time. No more birth story #3.
PS: for the record, my waistline was exactly 1m in diameter before delivery. Hebat ya?
My last lunch. Thereafter it was a whole month of ginger-wine food. Believe me, all the food tasted the same. :s


Comments