That clingy little tot


..come to Mummy!

Separation anxiety is something that causes a lot of problem to parents. A child will normally be attached to one of the parent and in most cases that would be mothers; of course it may be the father as well. That parent may sometimes feel suffocated with the constant attention the child is expecting from him/her. It’s really not easy for parent to handle a child’s tantrums especially if the parent is tired and trying hard to juggle between the many responsibilities and expectations, this I can truly understand. I am going through that as well. Lucky for me Sarah do not have a too serious a problem of separation anxiety, so far. She would cry at times when I go to the loo but she’s still consolable. I would admit that she still prefers me to harby. (nyek)

Quote: “How long should you expect this separation anxiety to last? It usually peaks between ten and eighteen months and then fades during the last half of the second year. In some ways, this phase of your baby’s emotional development will be especially tender for both of you, while in others, it will be painful. After all her desire to be with you is a sign her attachment to her first and greatest love- namely you. The intensity of her feelings as she hurtles into your arms is irresistible, especially when you realize that no one- including your baby herself – will ever again think you are quite as perfect as she does at this age

I read this in one of the parenting books. It’s so well written, so well put. Therefore from now until as long as the situation remains, I’m going to savor every moment of her “clinginess”. HA!

Comments

Popular Posts